View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
jason taylor

Default Re: Post Your Characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Seems like an interesting character, but I'm curious as to his stat and skill scores. A good list of skills for a seaman - and what time frame/world setting would you say he's from? - but not sure how he stacks up skill-wise.

Also

To me, this seems more like what Rank, Status, and Claim to Hospitality would be for, rather than Ally Group.

Plus, Literacy isn't a skill in 4e anymore, more akin to an advantage (or disadvantage if not fully fluent in your free native language). What language is he (semi?-)literate in? Russian? Polish? Ukrainian? Latvian? Finnish?
I didn't think of that. I imagine he would write German well enough to keep a rutter(personal seamans almanac), or work the accounts or basic professional stuff like that, but for cultural affairs he would prefer an oral tale teller or something of the kind. He would certainly not be literate in Latin, Greek, or Hebrew or anything fancy like that.

He is likely to know whatever pidgin is known in the Baltic at the time as well as some degree of the languages of the area's he works with. He would only be literate as such in German but he would be able to handle himself orally in several dialects.

The stats are a problem; those are my weakness when drawing up a character.

I am imagining someone a little like a Hanseatic version of Jellicoe of the Solar Queen or even Malcom Reynolds. A hard bitten fellow, who knows his way about things but might surprise you just when you think you have him figured out. He would be mid level status-a upper to middling burgher rather then a polished old-money patrician. Representing family as ally-group was meant to imply that he has cousins to help his home port affairs.

Militia service rated "Extremely Hazardous Duty" because the perennial disorder of the time meant a town milita could actually see rigorous service-it wasn't at all like National Guardsmen training for a few weeks.

By the way, the name is just the default name in Patrician III.

Last edited by jason taylor; 03-25-2016 at 02:03 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote