View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #221
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

I've never seen those in my B&M. However, I will note that their online store lists Gloomhaven and Sagrada, but they're currently out of print with no set date for restocking (which doesn't mean much). They've never carried Cards Against Humanity though (for whatever reasons).

However... Scythe and Gloomhaven were a big enough hit to put those designers into "the mainstream'. They've gone on to make and market other games without needing Kickstarter (My Little Scythe, Wingspan, Charterstone all from Stonemaier Games) or at least continue reprinting the game well beyond the Kickstarter fulfillment (Gloomhaven is on it's fourth printing).

That's currently sitting on the shelf at my B&M, but as I note above, I really don't consider them a "Kickstarter" publisher at this point. Especially not Stonemaier Games. I mean you could argue that with Cephlofair (Gloomhaven) as he's done nothing without KS backing, but Stonemaier has 2 games published and sold without KS backing (Wingspan is coming early next year).

So, sure, KS backed games have hit the shelves in my B&M (and I can now name some more, all Stonemaier Games designed), but my point was, if not really worded as such, "the legions of dross* that hit and succeed on Kickstarter do not take up a significant shelf space in B&M stores".

But, yeah, I do agree that KS has changed the market place. Maybe for the better.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote