View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Tom H.

Default Re: Picking the nits: More DFRPG questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
What density of matter is considered low enough for displacement by the area of effect: air but not liquid or grey matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
There is no displacement. The effect and the air (or void) exist simultaneously.
Displacement or not, density does matter if you want to apply any rationale to the effect.

If density is of no consequence and the effect exists simultaneously with physical matter, then what's to keep it from existing simultaneously with all matter in the area. That means that not only would a flame cloud exist simultaneously with your epidermis causing damage, it would exist simultaneously with your brain, your potions, your lantern fuel, the inside of closed sarcophagi as well as the sarcophagi themselves . . .

I guess you could try to reason that the effect only co-exists with the traditional element of air; although, that probably doesn't leave much of your lungs intact and doesn't satisfy my rigor for more modern settings where density is a more relevant distinguishing property.

P.S. I finally got my internet back today around 6 P.M. after an area outage that lasted around 80 hours.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote