View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Cutting-Edge Armor Design at TL10

I'll take a stab at some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'll be using David Pulver's 'Cutting-Edge Armor Design' article from Pyramid #85 in our TL10 retro-cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk/biopunk campaign.*

The article has Basic Nanoweave appearing at late TL9, becoming much less expensive at TL10. The text specifies that Basic Nanoweave is not as effective as TL10 Nanoweave.

1) What would the stats of TL10 Nanoweave set forth in the style of the article be?

In other words, what are its WM, CM DR/in Max DR, Notes and Construction?
WM: 0.21

CM: Don't know for sure but I think the $150 at TL10 is for the full TL10 version. If you don't think it is then I'd say it's no more then $200/lbs.

DR/in: 143

Max DR: 72

Notes and Construction should be as TL9 Nanoweave.

Quote:
2) What are the stats for a plausible advanced form of arachnoweave made at TL10?
This is just a guess buuut....

WM: 0.23
CM: $150
DR/in: 121
Max DR: 61

This pure speculation on my part though.

Quote:
3) What TL10 rigid armour would be popular at TL10?

What material is metal-matrix laminate composites (that THS p. 160 says Clamshell Cuirass is made from) in 'Cutting-Edge Armor Design' terms? What stats does it have?
Use Titanium nanocomposite, all the "nanocomposites" in the article are actually matrix composites.

Quote:
What other practical armour materials might be used in 2100?
Well diamondoid is pretty much the settings equivalent of a "Chobham" type armor. It has WM 0.06, CM $350, Dr/in 247 and a min DR of 99.

Quote:
4) How restrictive, uncomfortable and sweaty are TL9+ flexible armours designed to look like clothing?
I'd say not really that restrictive if the clothes aren't any heavier to wear and aren't terribly thicker then normal ones, so long as its properly designed though I'd I say any comfortable armor would need to have the Optimized Fabric option.

Quote:
Will fabrics that have useful DR always be less comfortable in tropical heat than DR 0 clothing?
Once again, depends on thickness though most material probably aren't going to breath like cotton (well arachnoweave might).

Quote:
Are there important differences between the materials listed in the 'Cutting-Edge Armor Design' article?
If you mean in relation to their textures, how comfortable they feel on your skin and how well they breath. Yes, but unfortunately I haven't found any articles discussing these facts in regards to versions of these materials currently in real world labs sadly.

Quote:
5) How do various clothing options like memswear affect detailed armour construction?

Which, if any, ballistic fabrics can take options such as buzzwear, memswear and varicloth (THS p. 146; UT p. 39) without altering weight or DR? Or should such options require the use of layers of non-protective fabric, slightly increasing weight as well as adding to cost?
I'd say all of them could be designed to incorporate buzzwear and the like without altering weight or DR... well.... they should realistically increase the weight but at TL10 I'd imagine that the tiny micro motors used in those materials would be lite enough at a human scale that the added weight would be rounded off anyways. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the assumptions behind this tech to give a meaningful guess at how much this stuff would weight per square foot of coverage if you wanted to try scaling it.

Hope I was of some help.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote