View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #20
Icelander

Default Re: Pterosaur Size, Weight, ST and Maximum Encumbrance when Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
The grenade in a jar trick from Vietnam would also work. Pull pin, stick in a glass jar, drop. When it hits the ground the jar breaks and the spoon comes off.
Yes, certainly. That's a nice idea if these pterasaurs would be used in warfare against ground-based targets.

Which really depends on how much they can comfortably carry in Low Mana Zones. I imagined that the Antarctic Space Nazis would train a few (using magic) to serve as mounts for scouts that went ahead of anyone else into new worlds discovered through the World Tree and found to have higher levels of mana than Germania Hyperborea (a Low Mana world with occasional Places of Power, environs and 'ley lines' that are higher). It's in Germania Hyperborea where bombs dropped from the air would be most useful to the ASNs, as in other worlds, they rarely want or need to engage more than point targets, at least not until they bring over more of a military presence than flying scouts.

I'm sure that in Normal Mana and higher, these pterasaurs are absolutely strong enough to easily carry a human rider, saddle, harness and even some arms and supplies. I'm equally sure that in No Mana Zones, they could never achieve flight with a human on their back. What I haven't fully worked out is if they could serve as mounts useful in warfare in No Mana Zones, where their strength-for-weight is 'only' 35-40% higher than than of actual, natural pterosaurs.

Knowing the weight of the saddle and harness could be important there, if every pound of weight matters.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote