View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: PC Races of Middle Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I played a LOT of MERP in my teens. Sometimes, I get confused about what is in cannon and what is in the RPG. I can't actually think of where the eyes were mentioned in the novels.
Actually, the nature of the Woses' eyes are mentioned in Unfinished Tales, in the Druedain essay: "[their eyes] were so black that the pupils could not be distinguished, but in anger they glowed red."

For the other templates, I'd suggest some tweaks.

Dwarves should have Resistance or Immunity to Domination - that's not mind control in general, since emotional effects and suggestions could work on them, but they straight up can't be totally subdued by the will of someone else.

All the elves' templates should probably have HT +1 at least, if not more. Elves are just more resistant to bodily problems than humans are. I'd also give all of them the Telescopic Vision advantage. Even if you're assuming that only Legolas' type of elf should have it, it should go on the Sindar template, not the Sylvan one - Legolas was actually a Sindar. His grandfather was a Sindar prince who came east after the fall of Beleriand and established a realm in Mirkwood. However, I think being farsighted is just a general trait of elves, not just Legolas' kindred.

The Noldor should have ST+1 or more, and I'd give them HT +2 - the High Elves, even the ones who never actually lived in Valinor, were physically stronger and tougher than average humans. I'd consider giving at least some of them a few levels of Temperature Tolerance (Cold), as well - Voronwe, the Noldorin elf from the story of Tuor, notes that "long must be the hunger and cold the winter that shall slay the kin of those who passed the Grinding Ice."
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote