View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
ShirraWhitefur

Default Re: Need help with Innate Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Fantasy has racially innate spells (equivalent to 3e knacks) priced as: Required level of Magery, possibly at a hefty discount if it's only for one (-80%) or a few (up from there) spells; PLUS one point per spell in the prerequisite chain (tables in the back of Magic or Thaumatology, each working on different assumptions); PLUS the normal skill cost to get the spell at the level you decide the race needs it at. So, for example, an IQ 10 race that can Ignite Fire at skill 15 at will pays 1 (one-spell Magery 0) + 0 (no prerequisites) + 24 (I think - for the IQ/H skill at 15).

Power-Ups 2: Perks has an entirely different method; the one point Charm perk replaces any need for Magery above 0 (if the spell would normally require it) and any spell prerequisites; you only need minimal magery (or a High Mana environment) and points equivalent to what you'd pay for the skill (though it's explicitly not learned nor can it be increased past the racial fixed level). So that same race, in a High Mana world, would pay 1 (Charm) + 24 (skill 15) - the same in this case, but for powerful spells there's a BIG difference.

Since a Charm isn't a skill, I guess you could put any limitation you like on the point total as if it were an advantage. Or you could try to reverse engineer the Adjustable Spells stuff from Thaumatology into limitation rules, but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Too lazy to look up page refs, sorry. :)
That is, however, exactly what I was looking for. My apologies to the folk who built the advantages via powers (the opposite of what I was looking for), I needed to get at spells. Some of the things I want to do could be built as powers but for astronomical and unnecessary costs.. Hence that resurrection example. Some of the things work nice and smoothly as powers instead, and those I've already done up rather than meddle with things unnecessarily complicated.
I'm thinking of working on a middle ground between the two sets of costs here.. Freebies for pre-reqs is way too easy.. but full cost of pre-reqs that you can't use for anything else is too costly. Okay, the race as a whole can do that Cure Blindness thing, but any magery for yourself and spells for yourself buy up from scratch. Doesn't seem quite fair to charge full value for everything you can't use.

- Shirra
ShirraWhitefur is offline   Reply With Quote