View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
Icelander

Default Re: Imperial Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
I don't think any of the templates in Special Ops would come to more than 300 points in 4e. The most expensive template in the book is the US Navy SEAL at 200 points. With an additional 70 points for attributes (IQ & DX @ 14) and another 9 points to bring the 18 half-point skills up to one point each, you only get up to 279. That's without taking advantages of some of the more generous defaults in 4e (for instance, you only need one high level Guns skill to be competent with all guns) and things like talents and secondary characteristics which can be optimised to bring the points down a bit.
A newly-minted SEAL in GURPS SEALS in Vietnam is 275 points, so you're right there. The 3e-4e shift was kinder to SEALS as regards point value inflation than for other groups which relied more on IQ and DX than ST and HT, though. But that's an aside.

It's possible to do the same thing for fewer points by having 14+ attributes and everyone having the same Talents designed around the template.

It's just not as realistic as a less optimised template that more precisely reflects the things they are good at and avoids making them good at stuff that they shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
As for housekeeping, I'd say that keeping your quarters in order is part of the Soldier or Crewman skills.
The basics are, certainly.

But as Brett said, the median Marine is a 25-year-veteran and these are people who learn quickly and take pride in doing everything they do well. I just don't find it unbelievable that they'd be good at keeping their gear looking good for parade (which Soldier does not necessarily cover), even if given short notice and a lack of cleaning supplies.

I can move Housekeeping to the optional skills, though.