View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #107
vierasmarius

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
And I appreciate that! I just think the book already covers some of what you want, and that we'd be better off stocking future DFM books with oni and tanuki and tengu and kyojin and kobito instead of trying anything serious in terms of a worldbook. GURPS Japan and GURPS China already do that well enough if you need setting details.
Yes please! Japanese mythology is richly populated with bizarre and ghastly beasts to fill the dungeon with. Having a DFM: Oriental Monsters book would give you "exotic" opponents for the typical DF game, as well as provide standard fare (and even monstrous PC templates) if running a game set in mythical Japan. As much as b-dog insists, I think it's important that DF keeps itself light on setting declarations. It can always be flavored by a sprinkling from setting books (Banestorm, Roma Arcana, Celtic Myth, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Those monsters would be good to have specially powered up to fit DF. As far as GURPS China and Japan go they are interesting but a higher powered mythical source book would fit better with DF and be more useful.
Apart from the DF-scaled monsters, what would you want in a DF: Oriental Adventures sourcebook that isn't provided by the above books? I could see magic items and spellcasting options based on oriental mysticism. Maybe lenses for some of the templates (ie, turn the Knight or Swashbuckler into a Samurai). That sounds like stuff that could fit in the hypothetical "DFM: Oriental Beasts" book, or maybe as a separate Pyramid article. Anything else you think is needed?

Last edited by vierasmarius; 03-07-2012 at 03:02 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote