View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #41
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Post apocalypse alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebrant View Post
It made me wonder about honey tainted with grayanotoxins. I looked online a bit but couldn't find any information on that general class, however, it seems some alkaloids have been studied in more details and that they remain in quantifiable concentrations in meads.

Mead being amongst other things a dilution might be a good idea to make honey consumable in a post-apoc setting where nature becomes a lot more hostile.
You can make honey toxic but it's much easier to make grains deadly. Honey itself is medicinal. If nothing else bees have reasonable resistance to radiation and they cover themselves in pollen. If you harvested honey made during fallout from a nuclear event it would be .. dangerous?

The bigger issue in my mind for Mead is sugar. After the end Sugar Cane and Sugar beats still grow, Corn would be plentiful but the tools to turn those crops into sugar or sweetener would be difficult to preserve. Sugar wouldn't be coming from anywhere any time soon. So anyone who wants a little glaze on their cake or something to sweeten their tea would reach for honey. I imagine the demand would be pretty high.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote