View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Skarg

Default Re: (When) Can Goblins Lie?

It is important for a GM and players of goblin PCs to be clear what exactly they don't do.

I agree with MikMod that it seems to me it must be a cultural thing, and would vary by each goblin culture. Such as an extreme taboo, or other strong systems of ideas and values.

I also agree with MikMod that it seems pretty clear in ITL that "their word" is about promises, contracts, and so on. It's also clearly not about avoiding deceiving others, as that's in fact specifically something they delight in doing while sticking to the letter of their promises.

I see it as a severe cultural code of honor (and matter of pride, ego and delight) to keep one's promises, and a taboo or possibly even cognitive conditioning issue against doing otherwise.

That might or might not extend to honesty or truthfulness, which are two different things that wouldn't logically need to apply to someone who keeps promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
  • Can they create misdirection?
  • What about false trails?
  • What about planting false evidence?
  • Or fibbing about their involvement and real motives?
I would say all these are very doable by goblins. These actions are all about truthfulness, honesty, and/or communication, not about keeping promises per se, unless they gave a promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth and never attempt to mislead anyone nor take actions that might convey false impressions. I imagine goblins would be very hard to convince to make those sorts of promises (at east not without some loopholes in mind).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote