View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #85
Icelander

Default Re: Disads: the Second Best CP Deal in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
In my perception, if you absolutely have to play fictional protagonists as realistic characters then you have to re-set the reality of their motivation as opposed to how they're perceived: the "solid and staid" character actually isn't like that on the inside and instead is going to do the same stupid things as all the others while trying to seem as if they're the sensible one.
Or, indeed, solid and staid characters may only be solid and staid by contrast to their flat-out insane allies. Given that the most humble, conservative, careful and non-violent characters in any long-running campaign I've run have usually killed more people than any legendary murderer you'd care to name and run more risks than any ten famous daredevils, just by reluctantly taking part in years of play time, I think it's safe to say that by comparison with nearly anyone other than the PCs and others like them, such characters would probably be regarded as arrogant thrill-seeking mass-murderers.

Contrasts are important for characterization in general. Which is why character creation should be a collaborative process between everyone involved in a campaign.