View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [HT] Statting a Firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
True. Presumably the wounding calculations Douglas Cole used involves some combination of calibre and velocity, and GURPS doesn't take velocity into account except to distinguish between 4-8mm pistol and rifle rounds. Calling it pi would be consistent with RAW firearms, which is makes sense if you aren't planning on recalculating all the guns from HT.
Yes, for simplicity you just want to use pi.

I would honestly use the "AP Damage" line {0.98} for nearly all pistol bullets. It corresponds very well with the pi/pi-/pi+ in that range.

The wound channel modifiers basically are a function of something like the sqrt of a momentum term divided by a KE term (or something related to it; the equations are in the spreadsheet or my article itself).

The JHP line, however, does work out pretty well. It decreased penetration based on the increased frontal area of a squashed projectile, but INcreases wounding for the same reason. Works out decently.

The "normal damage" line looks at wounding when the bullet turns sideways a bit and is probably more correct for rifles with aspect ratio of 3-5 than it is for pistols.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote