View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Landwalker

Default [HT] Statting a Firearm

In a fit of foolhardy restlessness, I've started trying to lay the groundwork for a new campaign of the contemporary and reasonably realistic sort, based largely on Jagged Alliance 2.

To that end, I plan / expect to be throwing together stats for a pretty large chunk of stats that aren't in High-Tech, Pulp Guns, Gun-Fu, or Tactical Shooting, simply because I can never get a large enough selection of toys. A ludicrously vast array of options is my happy place.

So I nipped over here and picked up Douglas Cole's spreadsheet, and have decided to take it for a test run using the Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine in 124gr 9x19mm Parabellum.

Since I know all of jack and squat about the technical side of firearms in real life, I present my work to the hive mind for review in order to make sure I did everything properly, didn't bugger it all up, and got reasonable results considering the weapon in question.

Inputs
From what I can tell, this section is almost entirely from the "Cartridge Stats" sheet, with the only exception being Barrel Length, which I entered as 422.5 millimeters (16.6 inches). Everything else is straight out of the 124gr 9x19mm column on Cartridge Stats.

Aaand that's pretty much it!
Outputs
Armor Penetration: 3d+0

Normal Damage, JHP Damage, and Fragment Damage: I'm not really sure what these lines mean, but they are respectively 3d+0 {1.4}, 2d+2 {1.8}, and 3d+0 {1.6}. AP Damage is 3d+0 {0.98}. No idea what the numbers in braces are for on any of this.

Weapon Weight: Somehow, this is "#N/A", which seems to be caused by the "Action Type" selector. The spreadsheet's default is "Auto," but if you open the drop-down menu, you get a bunch of very small numbers instead. I had no idea what to do with that. Also seems like I can just take weight straight off the official page anyway, so I'm doubly confused.

Range: Max 2,090. I assume this is in yards? Seems like a pretty reasonable number to me, about on part with the Winchester M1 Carbine (HT.120). The lower table gives what I assume to be a ½D Range of 260 yards, which again seems reasonable for the weapon in question.
And that's about all I can figure out. Determining weight is easy enough from known specifications, RoF is 3 (Semiautomatic), Shots is straight-forward, and I suppose ST, Bulk, and Rcl are pretty much just "best estimates."

So, thoughts? Input? Corrections? Ridicule?

Last edited by Landwalker; 04-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote