View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #29
phayman53

Default Re: Looking for good House Rule on Wealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
I posted this to the forums 11 years ago. It may suit you.
Thank you for posting this, this is the kind of rule I was hoping for. Not sure if I would use it exactly, but it is definitely the direction I was hoping for. I didn't respond to it sooner because I did not have time to interact with it.

Quote:
My assumptions:

1) Trading points for cash at character creation should give more starting money than buying an equivalent amount of wealth, because wealth has ongoing benefits.
2) Trading points for cash should at least be comparable to signature gear, because signature gear has plot protection. Wealthy characters should benefit more from points for cash than average or poor ones.
3) Both signature gear and points for cash should be viable alternatives to high levels of wealth at any point level.
I agree with all of these assumptions. The only exception is that I am not sure extra cash for signature gear is the pest way to go. PK has a rule that signature gear is a perk that adds plot protection only on one item up to a certain amount. I like that idea.

Quote:
Here's the basic idea:
1) Characters may *not* declare themselves to be "living an unsettled lifestyle" and get 100% of their starting wealth. (These character concepts can take a lower wealth level and trade points for cash at start-up). The 20% figure is absolute! The other 80% is what grants the ongoing benefits of wealth: increased earning at jobs, shorter working week, free status, and a higher wealth multiplier.
So what about an itinerant character who has the connections and status to earn his wealth level? Would the 80% go to things like wardrobe, servants, assistants, etc.? Hmm, I could see that make sense. A TL3 Knight Errant would have at least one page, a tent, probably a groom, some horses, etc. But then what separates this character from a landed status 2 knight? The itinerant one should have to pay higher cost of living (Basic says double to maintain status on the road), but what advantage does he get for spending the same points on the same wealth level, but without the advantage of a home base?

Quote:
2) Points may be traded for cash at character creation. The amount of cash that a given number of points gives is based on the wealth formula(see below), which follows the same exponential progression that wealth itself does. Points for cash *are* modified by wealth level, and characters can buy both. Points for cash gives 100% of what the equivalent number of points gives in wealth.

3) Signature gear works just like points for cash, but it is not modified by wealth level. (Wealthy characters are better off paying points for cash than getting signature gear). Signature gear gives 200% of what the equivalent number of points gives in wealth, or twice what points for cash does. Each item of signature gear is a separate purchase.

So, some possible character builds under this system at TL3:
John Plain has zero points in wealth. He starts with $200 in adventuring gear and Average Wealth. He has the necessary assets to work an ordinary job, and earns income in the game at the usual rate for regular working hours.

John Poor takes the Struggling disadvantage, but puts those 10 points into points for cash. He starts with $100 in adventuring gear and his points for cash give him another $750 (1500 * 0.5). He lacks the tools, memberships, or contacts to earn much at a job, but he has about four times as much adventuring gear as John Plain. This would work well as a typical adventurer's build.

Malachi Arundel is wealthy (20 points) and has a lot of stuff. He starts with $1000 in gear for his wealth and takes 5 points in points for cash which give him another $3000 ($600 * 5).

Corwin Bearclaw is an adventurer with standard wealth. He a fine thrusting broadsword worth $2400. This will cost him 9 points as signature gear.
This makes sense, I like it. Good examples too, thank you!

Quote:
So, at TL 2 with starting wealth $750, $150 of which can go towards gear, you would need 12 points put towards points for cash under this house rule. That would give you an additional $750*(10^(12/25)-1)=$1515 to spend for a total budget of $1665. (11 points doesn't quite get you there).
Thank you for working an example based on the specific issue I brought up, I appreciate it!

This is definitely a rule change I will consider!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote