View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #15
Phantasm

Default Re: Scientist in the Star Wars galaxy RPG build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I've only seen the original trilogy. But in those, Jedi were strongly encouraged not to mess with fate.
This would suggest that regardless of what they're "going to do", they'll mainly be noticed by Sith. Jedi may approve or disapprove, but won't interfere, except for mavericks that "don't need no force telling them what to do, or who to save".
Well, considering that in the original trilogy, the only Jedi out there are Yoda and Obi-Wan... and old Ben gets killed off with a half hour to go in the original movie (A New Hope for you youngsters; I grew up with it being called simply Star Wars, even after the sequels hit VHS). Luke's not truly a Jedi until the climax of the appropriately-named Return of the Jedi, and by then both Ben and Yoda are both physically merged with the Force, which led to an entire generation growing up thinking all Jedi merge with the Force when they die.

I don't recall Ben or Yoda telling Luke not to mess with fate, or even fate being part of the lore in those movies. If anything, Ben tells Luke, "you must do what you feel is right, of course" in the original movie, and later Yoda says "always in motion is the future", meaning that what could be the future now may prove to be false, and that it's up to the Jedi to determine for himself what the best course of action is. Yoda and Ben don't want Luke to face Vader on Bespin for fear of Luke becoming Vader (as shown in the dark side cave), but they don't do anything to stop him when he goes except for a few encouragements against it. No one mentions messing with fate until the prequels.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote