View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #30
Tywyll

Default Re: YOU'RE the GM: the last chance archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It seems to me that there is a consistent reading of the rules that matches how it plays out, except for the part about polearms going first.

That is, ITL says an archer "usually" gets to get a last shot off, and that is what usually happens - i.e. if they either attack first, or survive an attacker going first, and then shoot.

Yes. The abstract representation breaks down in some cases unless you start making some embellishments. (i.e. Polearms go first due to reach, but a ranged weapon has no reach disadvantage against a polearm. If you have bows go before polearms, then they're going before other bows, unless you add a whole missile weapon phase that always goes before hand weapon attacks.)

I suggested a house rule that can fix it logically earlier in this thread, but an alternative house rule solution also occurs to me now, that is less complex:

* When a polearm user charges a ranged weapon user and attacks the ranged weapon user, the polearm user does not automatically get to attack before the ranged weapon user, because he has no reach advantage. Resolve such polearm attacks in order of adjDX.

There is still some weirdness in this means than non-polearm friends of a ranged weapon user could also defend the ranged weapon user before the polearm charge if they are in reach and have higher DX. I suppose you could reduce that weirdness by saying the polearm precedence only gets removed if the charged archer actually has high enough DX to attack before the polearm user.
Alternatively you could just say, archers firing at charging figures always are considered 'tied' to the Dx of their attacker if it is higher than their own, and they always win this tie. This is only for initiative purposes. This way it doesn't impact other figures around them, just the two in the discussion and it lets you know when everyone should be going.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote