View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
Joe

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
On top of that, I want a sparring match. Not sure if I'll do it out of game or in, but it will be with their characters. In game could be a rivalry gone too far followed by a skilled magical healer arriving in the nick of time to save the fallen from Death's hands. I could tell them the purpose of this little exercise is so they know that healer will not be there next time.
Oh, this sounds fun. It'd be a great way for the players to get to know the characters and the combat system at the same time - and especially good for letting them know in advance how deadly combat can be.

I like to start some campaigns by giving each character an opportunity to make a memorable entrance. This often means introducing the characters one by one, or two by two, during the first half of the first session, rather than doing the traditional "You all meet in a tavern" handshaking process. You start the story with just one or two of the characters, give some intriguing elements of plot right up front, and then have them try to unravel the mystery, introducing each further character in turn as another person they meet and fall in with along the way.

I mention all this because having some of the tough-guy PCs meet and instantly have a reason to fight each other can be a really fun way of introducing new characters - particular warrior types. Just make sure the rest of the group has something to do during the combat, or ensure it won't last too long - you don't want it to drag on if not everyone is involved; particularly in the first session.

Anyway, that's a thought, to add to your great idea.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote