View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
DwarvenHeart

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

First off, thank all of you for your wonderful advice and compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Where are you?
(Some of us might like to join, if you have open seats!)
I'm located in central Michigan (geographically speaking, not the college). If you're anywhere close, message me and we'll see about meeting up. I don't have open chairs but I have an experienced gamer who's not playing this game and has carried the GURPS torch with me against my other experienced gaming friends without any avail. It would be nice to meet some local GURPS guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
So it sounds as if we've now covered what I take to be the three biggest pitfalls awaiting a beginning GURPS GM:

1) ...

2) ...

3) The players, who are used to less realistic systems...

I like your idea of using 'luck tokens' to solve this. ...

Right! That's quite enough from me. Dunno if any of that will be anything but obvious, but never mind. Hope the campaign goes well!
Thanks for not delving too deeply into what others have said or I have already commented on. Some don’t put the time or effort into reading the previous posts and realizing what was said on page 1 is no longer an issue on page 4.

Luck; that's a good idea. I wonder if it would also work if I had a caravan peddler sell a token of luck to each PC before they leave town. I wouldn't give any knowledge of the game mechanics behind it. Instead of luck, I could make it a one use extra life. When they die, it will crumble and their HP will move to 0 and they'll be unconscious. When/if they investigate it, I'll be sure to mention (through a knowledgeable NPC) that the extent and life of the the charm is uncertain. “Jumping into a volcano maybe beyond its power as well as using it a months from now.”

On top of that, I want a sparring match. Not sure if I'll do it out of game or in, but it will be with their characters. In game could be a rivalry gone too far followed by a skilled magical healer arriving in the nick of time to save the fallen from Death's hands. I could tell them the purpose of this little exercise is so they know that healer will not be there next time.

What does everyone think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Seriously, you need to read the box on B p. 291. Is there something about Chapter 9 that everybody skips it?
Thank you for the exact page. Add me to the number of people who keep reading over that passage. I, literally, just read those pages and missed the box.

It seems harsh that some players get these adv/dis and some don't. Then again, good role-playing has it's rewards. And the players still have a great deal of control over their character through advancement.

I would like to reward the player who approaches me with the idea that his character has seen too much and, over a 4-6 month gap, wants his PC to become an alcoholic. That takes initiative and should be rewarded. Maybe not with -15cp but what else can I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
I had problems with my players showing up late, so I started offering a "good for one reroll, this game only" chit for those who get to the game on time. It has led to a great improvement in their punctuality, and I don't think it unbalances things. I'm just a little more cavalier about throwing dangerous things at them now.
I like the incentive idea. With this group, I'm more worried about distracted players and too many jokes during the game. I'm all about fun but I like having 90% of my fun in character not with side jokes of the last Family Guy episode.

Last edited by DwarvenHeart; 05-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
DwarvenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote