View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #49
Azel

Default Re: In Nomine Second Edition: What have we learned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Azel,

I am not certain what you mean by the difference between the 'free' skill set and the Profession and Lifestyle skill set that you use.

Could you give me an example? (Bear in mind that the suggested skill set in CPG is based on a human who grew up in America. Trips to the pool, learning to drive, finding one's way around town are all rights of passage. Obviously a kid from Afganistan would be much different)
Basically it was within the CPG alternative rules for skills (p.24.) for free skill points for mortals. Of the 5 alternate rules to assist humans, I found Free Skill Points and Routine Actions the most helpful, personally. The other three are Simplified Skill Resolution (a shade more complex routine action), Specialization (bonus to TN roll), and Mastery (bump skill's base characteristic to 6 for TN roll) -- and though useful are a bit more specialized to NPCs that stand out more in the game.

Free Skill Points had a suggestion to give points to mortals for the advantage of being raised on earth. So whatever range of skills would be culturally expected in an area, the average mortal adult would have several skill points towards them. This I call Everyday Life skills because it's shorter than the above, and is flexible for whatever cultural background the game resides in.

You could also have profession skill points. These would be free (the book recommends 6 pts) because the player lived through obtaining them on earth. This is unlike a celestial hopping into a new vessel with a role -- they'd have to buy up those skills because it is assumed they did not live through the vessel's role's professional development.

Since I liked the idea so much, I included both as a way to add free skill points to my humans. Further, I threw in their recommendation for 3 free skill points for one's mother tongue. The end result is an extra 15 skill pts for mortals just for living on earth. It tends to also highlight how humans can spot non-humans doing things "weird." Still doesn't let humans directly compete because of the base characteristic discrepancy. But it shows how much time and effort has gone into practicing certain skills for humans versus ethereals and celestials.

In Example.
Afghani shepherd youth (around 16 yrs of age):
6 Everyday Life skill pts. 6 Profession skill pts. These free points may be spent within their appropriate skill set, up to a skill lvl of 3.
Everyday Life skill set: Knowledge (local tribal/warlord politics), Languages*, Ranged Weapon (rifle), Savoir-Faire (a hospitality culture w/ lots of tribal politics), Survival
Profession skill set: Climbing, Ranged Weapon (rifle), Survival, Tracking

* Since knowing other languages is so crucial for survival in a polyglot war-torn area, GM could give a 2-for-1 special on learning a 2nd & 3rd language.

Result:
Everyday Life = Knowledge (local tribal politics) +1, Ranged Weapon (rifle) +2, Savior-Faire +1, Survival +2
Profession = Climbing +2, Survival +1, Tracking +3

Free Skills: Climbing/2, Knowledge (local tribal politics)/1, Language (mother tongue)/3, Ranged Weapon (rifle)/2, Savoir-Faire/1, Survival/3, Tracking/3

Use character creation points to boost from there.

It's not for everyone's game, but I found it useful running humans in IN. Humans gain a subtle flexibility to survive against a celestial's power advantage. This isn't the only way to run this alt. rule either. But an example for such things could help GMs conceptualize whether this is an alteration they would find useful. Some may want direct power for humans, others more subtle resilience, but either way keeping these alt rules from being "canonized" helps stave off power creep and keeps GM diversity fresh, i think.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote