View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #23
Rick_Smith

Default The Staff & Quarterstaff combo.

Hi Ty.

<snipped a bit that repeated arguments above.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
... And it does not comport with the TFT conception of Wizards (or mine for that matter).
If you don't like the rules you are free not to use them.

TFT wizards have rules for staffs so that they can fight with them. Furthermore TFT is much more open about character doing what they want rather than having tight class restrictions. Perhaps you would never want to make a wizard who can fight well, but I've certainly seen players who do.

That said, many wizards who take this combo largely waste the memory. They have bought it in case of emergencies. But in practice they stay behind the fighters and rarely take advantage of the mIQ spent on it.

Paying a significant price (2 mIQ) for the ability to defend themselves well in an emergency is actually a cool trade off.

Quote:
And even if the ambiguity exists, the obvious and simple solution is to treat wizard staffs and quarter staffs as not the same. That’s simple, logical and doesn’t unbalance the game in favor of wizards.
Your point about this making wizards more powerful is interesting. I find that wizards get steadily more powerful than heroes (especially if heroes don't have kick ass talents), by the spells that they wield. Trance spells, the 8 die Lightning bolt solution to everything, Shapeshifting, Gates, Long Distance Teleports, Geas, Telepathy (for assuring loyalty), Revival. It is not that they do umpteen times better in combats, but because their spells are so easy to roll into political power.

Certainly a wizard can sacrifice 2 high level spells and get better in close quarter melee combat, but what wizard-king WANTS to be in close quarter melee combat? However, your point is well found. This would give wizards the option to sacrifice a couple spells for melee prowess, and such choices are good for wizards.

As I have said before, I do NOT say that Staffs and quarterstaffs are the same. I am saying that the Staff spell can be cast on ANY piece of wood. (As is explicitly allowed in the rules.) Which includes a quarterstaff. If Steve didn't want the Staff spell cast on thick, heavy staves, why not say that they had to be cast on thin little wands like Harry Potter?

Quote:
Hopefully, this clarifies why I object to your rule.
I have never been unclear as to why you object. You have been clear thru out.

I don't mind you objecting, I enjoy the argument. So long as it is polite.

I actually figured when I started this, that SJ had a 70% chance to nerf or eliminate the combo. (Hopefully with some explanation as to why the magical shock does not add to a hefty clout.) I still think that it would be smart for this question to be spelled out in the new TFT's rules. Which is why I started this thread.

Quote:
*1 die averages 3.5 points of damage. 1d-1 averages 2.5 points of damage. But 1d-2 averages 1 2/3 points of damage, not 1.5 as might be expected. The reason is that 1.5 is be the mathematical average if negative damage were possible. ...
Yes, I have taught probability at the University level and I know this well. Thank you tho.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote