View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #73
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
But to me what makes it cool is that it is close a real world cleric. A cleric of Islam, Hindu, and Christian religions would all be fun to play. Using cross to turn a vampire is better than using a sacred tire iron of some made up religion for the game atmosphere to me. Plus the holy items found while dungeon delving are cool if they are from some real world religion. Somehow GURPS Banestorm, Cabal and Innomine were able to take real world religions and add them to the gamecworld and not create a huge uproar while almost all dungeon delving games avoid them like the plague. I know DF is supposed to be devoid of any setting assumptions but most of the stuff is from real world myths and legends with a coat of paint covering it. Instead of having the evil cleric worship the demon lord Chroing the Nasty just go for the real thing and have the evil cleric worship the Devil.
If you want inspiration for using real-world religions in fantasy genre roleplaying gaming, check out Quest FRP, either v2.1 or v2.0. It's a freeware RPG system, and you should still be able to find those older versions on the Internet somewhat. From v3 onwards the real-world religons were dropped and everything got genericized, because a few people got offented at a honest attempt to simulate various mythologies.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote