View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #14
Omegonthesane

Default Re: Shedim of Malphas are just... wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You make it sound as if it's in the interest of Angels to do that sort of thing, not Dæmons.

(And sorry, I have very little idea about IN.)
It's more that that plan is very much a double edged sword in its results, next to what an actually competent Shedite would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
And the child, totally at odds with everything that the parent ever taught him, wouldn't do it (Exactly how much talking would it take for YOU to have killed one of your siblings at the parent's say so?). He'd be torn. He'd go to his mother crying. He'd realize he came close to losing his brother if he listened to daddy.

Daddy would be in the dustbin, the relationship strongly broken with all three of his family members. Poof!
Even that isn't guaranteed or irreversible, the "underlying psychosis" could be treated and some sort of relationship restored. So, not for sensible Shedim to try.

Quote:
There is no 'in game' reason for a Shedim to NOT be able to do such things (and I favor the alternate rules in the back of the GMG to allow humans some chance against getting constantly hit with Imbroglio...).
Imbroglio isn't a Shedite trick, and the alternate resonsance rules deny humans any bonus against it.

In practice, making Shedim unable to literally compel people to do evil with a Will roll... will reduce to Shedim convincing people to do evil with an Int + Knowledge (human psychology) or Int + Lying roll, resisted by a [Skill]+Int or [Skill]+Perception roll on the human's part because the loss of consistency and fairness, combined with the need to roleplay with every random host, is too great to justify... roleplaying with every random host. I feel the purpose of making it a roll isn't to imply Shedim are in-character compelling people against their actual will, but to model their results - even the results of human free will - in a consistent way that resolves half-hour arguments with the GM about the abilities of player or NPC Shedim.

Quote:
Shedim are some of the worst thought out bands in the game, IMO, right behind Kyros (still don't understand them).
Is that literally not understanding their mechanics and dissonance, or figuratively not understanding their purpose of existence?

Granted the cynical voice in me would postulate that Kyriotates primarily exist so that something can Fall to become Shedim, because possessor demons are a repeatedly used and appropriately cool concept and the Song of Possession doesn't facilitate them. However the multiplicity embodied by their ability to take many hosts as opposed to the Shedim's single minded outlook, and their need to take care of snatched bodies, make them something I'd rather see than not in IN2E.

(Even if it would make more sense to me for Kyriotates to get access to host memories and the like, simply so they can interact with non-Soldier human hosts without being counted on to get dissonant. That being said it may not be entirely unintentional that it becomes easiest for Kyriotates to take over a group of ambient animals than a human, for Will rolls and for avoiding dissonance and for simple Force limits.)

Last edited by Omegonthesane; 04-16-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote