View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #83
KarlKost

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
On one hand, I don't care what the rest of you prefer. The question asked was, "Do you use these traits?" and only what I prefer is relevant to answering that.
Alright, no one is saying that you need to like it. We are just explaining why the trait makes sense, but personal opinion remains a personal choice.

Quote:
On the other hand, I think a measure of probability distortion is already built into the basic game mechanics of GURPS. It works a bit like an action/adventure film where everyone is a bit luckier than people in the real world, not to mention a bit more likely to experience dramatic events. But I think that Luck is both (1) excessive and (2) undesirable as a distinctive individual trait.
I dont see it that way. Besides, if EVERYBODY in the universe have Luck... Nobody does. For example, two arms is the common for humans, so, we just "gain" two arms free of charge. Therefore, the advantage stands as something ABOVE the norm - which is why it costs points.

And... Excessive? Really? Its a barely marginal benefit which play much more on game drama than extreme munchikinism... I don't see it as a game breaking trait at all

Quote:
That applies retrospectively. There is no prospective aspect to it: The fact that you rolled a 6 three times, or thirty, says nothing about the next roll (well, unless you have a loaded d6!). Prospectively you can say that if you have a group of 216 people, and they all roll a d6 three times, one of them will get three sixes (there's a 63.3% chance of this happening); but you can't say that any single one of them will get three sixes.
And neither can you say that your Luck advantage will automaticaly reverse into incredible stunts. Hey, you may even end up with a result WORSE than before. Just like I cannot claim that Ill have 3 sixes even if I roll one million times, I also can't say that my meta game Luck will grant me the edge I seek.
Also, the advantage Luck ALSO is "perceived" in game retrospectively; your character DOESNT know that he is being Luck in ANY situation; only YOU as a player do. If you were your character and didnt know that you are just a puppet being puppeteered by some sadistic people for sport, you wouldn't think yourself "lucky" at all (unless you are superstitious), just that you have some pretty good stories, but no more extraordinary than those of a heroic sniper from special forces veteran or an old time gangster.
And do not forget, Luck inevitably dries out - so, being able to escape 100 messy situations isn't so useful if you die in the number 101
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote