View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
Astromancer

Default Re: Social Strata and Magic Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
So for my "Ten Thousand Jade Petals" campaign one thing that has come up is the fact that magic is pretty common. But I didn't want anyone to be able to cast Enchant or use other severely world-changing magics. My thought was to limit them somehow.

One thing I wanted to do was have magic be found more in the noble bloodlines than elsewhere. Why? I'm thinking many of the noble houses literally breed for it. Kind of an open secret - the best sorcerers can social climb their way up. Also, the more advanced magics will be more commonly found in those of noble blood. Commoner casters are likely to only have spells that can see immediate use.

I was also considering having commoner casters lacking Sorcerous Empowerment in favor of one or two known spells as another way to divide the two castes from one another.

Thoughts?
Steal from Harry Potter. Families that breed successfully for magic would be pure-bloods. Other mages would be "mudbloods." Although I might use halfbreeds as the local term. Commoner mages (people with magery born to commoners) would only be allowed to marry into the noble orders. In practice, they'd marry into noble families that are only semi-successful in breeding for magery.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote