View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: GURPS Shadowgun [Brainstorm]

Quote:

South Asia would have likely used its mystical traditions to toss the East Indian Company out on its ear, effectively destroying the British Empire. The tribes of Siberia and Far East Asia, and their shapeshifter allies, would have used their mystical traditions to roll the Russian Empire back to the Urals. Within a couple of decades, the European colonial empires would be only a traumatic memory, soon forgotten as magical empires fight over resources.
Do existing traditions actually work? Do the myths and legends of existing peoples come into being? That hasn't been established yet. And if the mystic traditions of the world work, where does that leave the European Astrologers and Holy men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Considering that the desperate would include everyone being colonized by Europe, that is the vast majority of humanity.
But how effective is it? Is it practical to put together an army of completely invisible soldiers 10 years after the change? And not everyone will be in desperate circumstances. Some will be more desperate than others, and some will already be conquered (some of those more effectively than others). And the political problems and weaknesses that plagued many targeted nations won't go away.

We should also look at what we WANT the setting to look like, and act accordingly.

I favor the new world, including Siberia and Australia, having their natives get good at magic but lacking the numbers and organization to drive out the invaders. Asia and Africa remaining places that are traveled to but not conquered makes for a good setting flavor. India may be the exception there, with Bengal owned by the British but the rest of the subcontinent remaining independent and politically vibrant.

But what magic are we using, who gets it, and do existing traditions matter?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote