View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
OldSam

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I expect to be able to run a campaign in any setting,
I intended to buy some of the actual books like GURPS Basic Set, but not before actually running a test campaign.

It's like I'm trying to test-drive a new car with the intention of buying it (or related models), except that it's been stripped down to the bare basics and I only just find this out when I climb into the driver seat. All of the cool features and doo-hickeys advertised are there, they just don't actually work because someone went to the trouble of disabling them but still left them there.

So, basically, why are they still there?
You make a valid point but it's not that easy... For instance a car is something you can try out and _then_ decide if you buy/take it. If you get a complete document for "trying it out", you already have all the information and don't need to buy something else.

But I would definitely agree with you that there is some content in Lite that could be better left out, because it's not of much use for Lite-only players, anyway.
At least they should have made clear in the introduction, that some things are just samples of what could be, rather than being useful in an actual Lite-Game. IMHO it's bad style that they did not make that clear in the beginning, though of course it's free and overall still a good product. Also they should have pointed out, that it's a more abstract easy-version of the game, where indeed you could treat a SMG (more or less) just like a Rifle, letting out all details.

Maybe in a little updated version of Lite, they could extend the introduction with respect to that.

Last edited by OldSam; 01-13-2011 at 09:26 AM.