View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 03:28 AM   #34
Tomsdad

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Oh yeah, which is also the reason they don't sell well in the military world.

I was thinking more in it's ability to unload oddball "specific weakness" ammo at a relatively high volume at close range rather then it's damage dealing potential though after re-reading what I said I did do a poor job bringing that point across heh.

As for the recoil, yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.
I take your point about speciality rounds, but ultimately the same issues apply, you're not likely to be hitting with more of them, and will expending them more quickly.

God help you if they are expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Most important would be, would it cycle with speciality ammo?

A shotgun is primarily useful because you can fire so many types of ammo; slugs, shot, breaching rounds and even rock salt, stakes or something even odder.
True.

Given it's a gas blow back system, and evidently uses a lot of the gas to operate the cycle (which is why it touts it's recoil dampening as well) I'd say no.

There are other gas operated systems shotguns that have to cycle such rounds by pump action. (the Benalli M4, the Franchi SPAS 12 & 15)

However not all speciality rounds are low energy so it wouldn't be a problem for most anyway (it seems to be generally the less than lethal stuff that is effected, so likely not stuff MH's will be firing)

Anyway for stats purpose the redone AA-12 weighs less than the USAS at 10.5lb, it's the same length so I'd give the same bulk at -5 (although your almost certainly going to want the 20 or 32 round drum that will worsen bulk)

Evidently it comes in CQB version with 5" taken off the barrel bringing it down to 13", which I'd do with the rules in TS and as a shot gun it avoids some of the stat issues of this.

Rof is 5 (300rpm) on the wiki and elsewhere (see below)

And one can assume the round you are firing will also effect it (I'd guess 3" magnum round might count at extra powerful in terms of making it cycle a bit faster as per the extra powerful round rules so x1.1* so you could argue Rof 6)

Price is what ever it sells for I guess (although people on gun websites are interested in them, they don't actually seem to selling well in RL) it's pretty bespoke. maybe $1,500 - $2,000?

Here's what quite a recent and detailed write-up of it has to say about availability and sales:

"The first foreign sale was in 2010. It has been purchased in small numbers by the Saudi Royal Guard and an undisclosed user in southwest Asia. To date around 70 of the shotguns have been sold. They are handmade, not mass produced guns."

'Undisclosed user in SW Asia' has well funded PC team written all other it ;-) (or OK more likely it will be someone's security team in Bahrain or the UAE)

*although HT mentions this effect it doesn't actually quantify it, so I take the same effect on Damage, MinST and range (x1.1) and apply it. But I think you'd need an action that relies on blow back or gas to to operate it for the effect to work. i.e hand cranked, spring wound and electric motor run mechanism won't fire faster if you give them extra Powerful rounds.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote