View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
Skarg

Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Yes, I was talking about the existing rules for Guy's benefit, since his response and some replies to it seemed to be thinking that the issue was about engagement, and could be solved by adjustment to effective counter-size of a moving horse.

Really if you want a chance for a horse to be able to move through enemies (not around them, and not just crunching forward one hex per turn), then yeah you'd want an added rule that lets you do that, as you suggest. In GURPS you can even attempt that at any size, as there are rules for trying to evade or slam your way through through a standing foe's hex that take into account ST and DX. Your version seems ok though I think you'd want any such rule to allow the possibility of all combinations of outcomes, which I'm not clear yours does, i.e.:

* The horse might balk and stop, and/or panic.

* The standing figure might (probably does in most cases - they might need to choose to attack or get out of the way) get to attack the horse or rider, in addition to any other results.

* The standing figure might get out of the way, either falling or not falling, being hurt or not being hurt in the process.

* The standing figure might get rammed and/or trampled by the horse in the process.

* The horse might get stopped, stumble, or be hurt in the process of hitting whatever it rams into.

* The horse might keep going without being slowed down at all.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote