View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #38
Tomsdad

Default Re: Logistically Viable Weapons AtE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Ever had one of those moments where you write two pages of text in response to a half dozen posts and when you click submit you get logged out?

Sigh....

Long Story short the end result of this Rifles evolution would look a lot like a Enfield SMLE Mk III.

My big questions
1.) What supplementary weapons should be used in conjunction with the Rifle. Assuming It's matured into it's Enfield form.
I think that's really going to depend on what else is going on. Are there going to be armoured vehicles (albeit primitive ones), artillery etc, etc?

In RL even when the SMLE Mk III was in it's heyday Tommy Atkins who held it was part of a much larger and diverse armed force.

But if you don't have all that (and in ATE you may well not) that bunch of rifleman can get a lot done by themselves.

However one other weapon comes to mind, mortars might be pretty doable and useful at doing stuff rifles can't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
3.) Should this Rifle ultimately make the transformation to semi/fully-automatic or stay bolt-action?
Going semi automatic would seem to be a reasonably simple matter of manufacturing with only upsides and not much down side for use. FA would seem to run into issues with ATE tight resources, and FWIW I don't think FA infantry rifles gives you much extra combat benefit ove SA ones.

A balance that's further effected by Semi automatic rifles being easier to manufacture than fully automatic ones (I assume).

I can't really answer 2). beyond what do you want them doing and on which side of the development do you want them?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-05-2018 at 08:53 AM.