View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 AM   #5
InexplicableVic

Default Re: Blink spell versus multi-attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
All that said, Blink makes you lose your turn unless you buy up an off-attribute Hard skill that serves no other purpose. It’s pretty good defensively, but I wouldn’t use it most of the time unless I was faced with some steep Dodge penalty.
True that Body Sense is not an IQ-based skill, but DX-based. Still, a 250-point wizard can have it at 10 skill (50% success rate) for 1 point. Invest 3 points into that during play, and it's a 12 (74.1% success rate). That's a pretty good investment--most of the time the wizard will not be losing his or her next turn. But it's a very useful spell if the wizard absolutely must not get hit, e.g., he has DR2 and will get hit by a monster who does an average of 14 cutting...with 12 getting past DR, for a total of 18 injury, it's not enough to kill the wizard in one blow, but that most likely puts the wizard out of the fight if he or she gets hit with the first of the monster's multiple attacks (and may then get killed by subsequent attacks). In that regard, Blink is a great spell. Phase is better when it's against an opponent with only one attack, but multiple attacks? Blink is great, and maybe the Wizard's best bet.

Also, to confirm the answer to the OP's question, Blink definitely moves the wizard out of range for the subsequent attacks, as ArchonShiva notes above, because the attacks happen in sequence. Just like if a knight using rapid strike rolls a 18 and drops his weapon on his first attack...the second attack is now spoiled (this happened more than once to the late Hjalmarr Holgerson of Peter Dell'Orto's Felltower Campaign).

I would also say that the attacker doesn't get to do anything else once the Wizard blinks away. In one-second time frames, a combatant who makes a multi-attack against an opponent who blinks away after the first attack is not going to be able to redirect those attacks against another foe.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote