View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #14
Rupert

Default Re: The Utility of High Combat Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I don't like it. Maybe it's just the campaigns I've played in, but it feels overpowered to me, especially if the other players aren't close to that. The GM needs to balance things, but if you get into combat and you have a 24 skill and the other players have 14 skills, the NPCs will likely be around 14 as well meaning you will cut right through them.

Failure is a good thing in these games. Without a real risk, the victory is non-existent.
I've challenged parties with gun skills ranging from Guns-16 to Guns-32 with NPCs that had Guns-12. What matters is the NPC's equipment, not their skill, assuming the PCs do not have Perception and Stealth skills that are also in the 20+ range. That's when things start getting very one-sided. Melee is trickier, because skill also gives defence in a way that it doesn't in fire combat. However, even then the Melee-24 guy can only put so many foes out of the fight each turn, so adding more NPCs can still create a challenge - Melee-24 might be able to take the six on the right without a scratch, but they can't stop the half-dozen on the left getting at their less skilled friends at the same time.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote