View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #35
Wraithe

Default Re: Role of archers in low-tech parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Greetings, all!
It is no big secret that the role of an archer in High Fantasy is different from a role of an archer in normal fantasy/low-tech games. Notably, HF archers are scary R-DPS machines with a RoF exceeding that of some TL5 rifles, and comparable damage. With the proper build, they also have huge range.
However, what about the games with normal point ranges (100-150 or below)? What are the roles of archers in those parties, especially given that learning Bow is a lifetime investment?
Thanks in advance!
Well I think others have covered most of the points I would have made, so I just have a few minor observations.

First off, as other have noted, taking fire from an archer in an advance generally slows you down, either from you trying to avoid getting hit or getting hit and having to deal with it.

Another thing is that a bow (or any missile weapon) has a certain amount of intimidation factor. My rule has always been:

"There's a reason you can hold off 20 people with two rounds left in your gun...no one wants to be numbers 1 & 2."

I think a factor in the "intimidation" is partly that in earlier centuries, a deep puncture wound (impaling) is generally harder to treat and keep infection out, so some of that fear is justified in the period, as you might not die from the initial wound, but you might wish you had.

I once saw an archer (In SCA Light combat) hold off 6 opponents at short (10') range, simply because no one wanted to be the one to take the arrow.
(Author's note: I showed up, assessed and obliquely charged the archer, parried the arrow - into my leg - and the other 6 guys pounded him like a tent peg before he could bear on them.)

DF of course, generally you're going to get opponents that are going ignore casualties, but in a historical setting, animals and other creatures as well as "people" are going to not like the fact that you can reach out and touch them first.
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote