View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Heh - as it is open source I'm very much a "The More The Merrier" mindset. Nothing bugs me more than finding references to a decade-old utility that sounds super handy but seems to have evaporated from the internet. Gaming utilities tend to remain super handy after a decade or two, because my books are still here, but can I find that O:WoD character generator any more? *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
It seems like the name is the randomization seed for the dungeon, so shouldn't the name be included in the "Link to re-create this dungeon"? Right now you get a different name and layout if you just use the link, but the same one if you also copy paste the name.
Correct, and that's a good catch, thank you. I forgot the dungeon name wasn't stored as part of the options object. I'll have that fixed in the next update (unless a Git Gnome beats me to it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
And the generator seems to heavily favor spiraling hallways. Them's a LOT of hallways. But maybe I just need to play with it more.
Quote:
Increasing Room Layout to Tight removes a lot of the hallways, while Dense removes them almost altogether, favoring rooms connected directly to one another.
The corridors are (currently) laid down by a drunken walk. The tunnel digger goes out a door and digs a spot, then it has a random chance to keep going in the same direction or to pick a random new direction. If the direction chosen is blocked it has a chance to make a junction (if applicable) or picks a new direction.
What the Corridors setting controls is that likelyhood of continuing in a straight line... but it's still just digging blindly with no particular destination in mind, which means when it's "straight" it does march happily in a straight line... but it tends to spiral after hitting a barrier. Trim Deadends can help with this as those spirals are all dead ends, but it's only a bandaid over the issue.

My current big project is providing an alternate corridor algorithm that actually works to connect rooms with some basic pathfinding logic (A*, oh how I love thee). This will result in a much higher proportion of tunnels that "seem to be going somewhere". I'll probably make the ratio between chaotic tunnels and lawful tunnels a tunable setting :)

Quote:
Another one is that when printed the first page contains only the Dungeon Name, making it a giant waste of paper. I fixed it for the version on my website by making a slight modification to the dungeon.css file.
I changed the width in the following lines, at the very bottom of the file, from 100% to 90%.
Code:
    canvas {
        object-fit: contain;
        width: 90% !important;
    }
I swear that fit when I was testing it. Regardless, I've incorporated the fix.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote