View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #14
Mr Frost

Default Re: [MA] Push and Push Kick differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
In Muay Thai the Push Kick can be used as
1) An attack (normal kick)
2) A defence (would be legs parry in GURPS)
3) A Feint/ Ruse
4) A Push Kick in GURPS terms
To me 1) and 2) were different kicks ... they feel different to deliver {also we often used a different style of kick alltogether to block kicks that would be an agressive parry in GURPS} .
1) has less torque for want of a better phrase but is faster .
2) I how you mean , but it still felt {my body can't do any of it anymore} different to deliver .

I definitly see what you're getting at with 3) though . Throws the opponents' rythm off very nicely if you time yours' right .

Don't forget there are many different schools of Muay Thai and in each how and when a technique is used will differ greatly .

Mine was the style of a quite famous at the time Vietnamese champion by the name of Master Sole {I've probably spelled it wrong , it's pronounced Solay and rhymes with the Spanish bullfighting cry of "Olay !"} that was quite different from the usual but was taught to me by an Egyptian associate of His named Akiel abd el Moteleb {again , spelling ... Oye vey} whom I'm pretty sure had modifyed it a bit .
I doubt anyone could actually state the full number of Muay Thai styles accurately except for pure luck .

I know for example our elbow attacks differed from most styles at the time : we were taught to allways strike twice with each elbow {once as you threw it and once more as you drew it back} . Our stance and guard were a bit different too .

On a side note , should you ever meet Akiel {He would look like a 6'2 , 240lb mid 50s Milli Vanilli on steriods with an Egyptian accent thick enough to count as soft cover in GURPS} ... do not lend Him money !
He still owes me $500 from 17 years ago ! :)