View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
templar

Default Re: Printing Earlier GURPS PDF Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Please note that the color interiors are not really causing a major issue, at least for me. The major link is that the use of color interiors dates back to the same timeframe as the color text, so if a PDF has color interiors it most likely has color text as well.

The color interiors mostly come out in greyscale just fine (in fact, the Pyramid issues printed quite nicely in the PoD volumes I had made). The only place where I see an issue is where color was (obviously) used for some of the text or where there is a color background in a box behind text - in these instances the text looks washed out, and may in fact be caused at least partly by issue #1 that you mentioned (the text itself, while it looks black, may in fact be a combination of colors).
It's the CMYK Fonts. The two reasons they make the text lighter are because:
1) They aren't 100% black.
2) the black text is being lightened further due to "screening". Basically it is reading that the other colors should exist and is trying to compensate for them, which causes a faded out, grainier look.

As Eric said, you can still see the text but it is noticeable lighter, and also slightly pixilated, from the screening process. It is definitely harder to read in darker lighting.

I have figured out a fix involving Acrobat Pro and Pitstop Pro Plus that allows you to globally change the color of all fonts in a document. Pitstop is expensive ($800), but there is a 30 day free trial, and it doesn't take that long to convert each PDF.
templar is offline   Reply With Quote