View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Yssa

Default Re: Vow (Use only improvised weapons/carries no weapons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
If the character carried a roll of quarters in a sock in one pocket, or a bola made from boot laces and 1" hex nuts, would that count? That is, could the character improvise weapons ahead of time?
I'd been imagining it as in the moment, when a fight breaks out, they grab what they can and jump into the fight. However, I think in a scenario in which they knew a fight was coming it would be totally in character to spend some time time sharpening a stake, lashing a knife to the end of a stick, or rooting through the barn to find the most suitable farm tool.

If they always carry the same thing with them, that would probably be okay, as the penalties to hit and damage would still be significant enough to merit the penalty, but it sin't in the spirit of what I envisioned (whatever that means). However, there might actually be a difference: if a character picks up a stick of the ground and hits someone with it, that's an improvised club; if they carry the same stick all the time for the purpose of hitting people, then it's just a poorly made club.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote