View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
KevinJ

Default Re: Belt dagger limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
It seems clear to me that belt implies more than a simple strip of leather or rope to hold up ones pants and the actual location is not necessarily just at ones side. I say that because the text speaks of slinging a shield from it, with no mention of type. Try hanging a tower shield from a belt around your waist and then running, walking, etc.

I believe these two rules are making sure that characters are outfitted sensibly as for equipment and what is available in combat.

While on the topic, is a quiver of arrows one of the secondary weapons? Personally, I would say that it is.
I concur, in this interpretation it would make the 'belt' a series of slots into which you can place specific objects. Each character has two ways of carrying gear, a 'backpack slot' with the 'backpack' and everything in it being much less accessible in combat than items carried in one of the 6 'belt slots' which can be relatively easily accessed in combat.

I would posit that there are actually 7 belt slots, one being specifically for the 'ready weapon' when you aren't carrying it in your hand. This, however, would depend on your ready weapon. If you carry a one handed weapon you have a sheath or ring on your belt and for some two-handed weapons it would be slung over your shoulder in some way. But it's obvious that you aren't going to hang that Halberd from your 'belt' no matter what form it takes.