View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #14
oldwolf

Default Re: Belt dagger limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 65: "A limited amount of gear can be carried on the belt, where it is out of the way but can be readied quickly. You may carry up to six items on your belt. No more than two may be “large” (over 2 lbs.)."

Since daggers (or flasks) aren't over 2 lbs you can carry six on the belt, right?

ITL 107: "A character can have two secondary weapons and/or shields slung at his side. Daggers or flasks on the belt are also secondary weapons."

I.e. only two daggers can be worn on the belt.

Which is correct?
It strikes me both are correct and page 107 sets a limit on what page 65 says. Essentially you can have 6 items on your belt(s) or its equivalent with two of them being secondary weapons of some type, able to be readied in combat. Note that one of the 6 might be a primary weapon. So a character could have a sword and two daggers on his person, positioned so as to be readyable in combat. His "belt" could also carry three pouches with a bunch of "stuff"in them as long as they arent over two pounds. None of the "stuff" could be readied in combat. Since someone might choose to use a dagger as his primary weapon it seems reasonable that a "belt" could carry three readyable daggers if one is the primary weapon.

It seems clear to me that belt implies more than a simple strip of leather or rope to hold up ones pants and the actual location is not necessarily just at ones side. I say that because the text speaks of slinging a shield from it, with no mention of type. Try hanging a tower shield from a belt around your waist and then running, walking, etc.

I believe these two rules are making sure that characters are outfitted sensibly as for equipment and what is available in combat.

While on the topic, is a quiver of arrows one of the secondary weapons? Personally, I would say that it is.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote