View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #117
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Regarding the approach of upgrade from tier 2 to tier 3 penalties on the left leg...

I'm not initially sure whether to interpret "any roll to avoid falling is at -3" to apply to ALL situations (kicking or otherwise, like trying to maintain balance due to knockback) or just when kicking with the good leg

I notice there is no penalty listed to avoid falling on the next tier, just "cannot kick with the good leg from a standing posture – your wounded leg won’t support your weight" which implies the above approach could be wrong and that it may only be intended for kicking with the good leg.

your thoughts on that?

Given that kicks with the bad leg are done at -5 to DX, and in the previous tier the DX penalty to avoid falling was equivalent, I'm up to house-ruling that you are -5 to avoid falls once subject to tier 3 penalties (in general, when on both legs) but that falling is automatic when trying to support yourself on the bad leg, at the very least when throwing a kick.

I think grappling with a leg would take at least as long as a kick so it should apply there too (automatic fall) but I'm not sure about kneeing/stomping/trampling/leg parrying since those may not involve trying to support yourself on the leg for a prolonged period of time like kicking does. I think in those cases just doing a -5 to DX to avoid falls would be fine.

I think you SHOULD be able to kick with your good leg if you are suffering a tier 3 injury, but ala "The Karate Kid" it's a suicidal Crane-style kick where you are automatically falling as soon as you do it, and would require a "Break Fall" to land successfully in a crouch (ie how Karate Kid managed to jump off his good leg, kick with it, and then land without falling in a stumble on both legs) otherwise you fall and take damage as normal, and the breakfall should suffer the -5 to DX penalty.

Alternatively: since the 'wounded leg won't support' is only explicitly about Kicking (ie that technique) to emulate the 'Crane Kick', I guess you could consider that a 1-legged Drop Kick and use Slam-like damage calculations.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote