View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Erling

Default Physical Action maneuver

What makes GURPS somewhat different from numerous other games is the absence of general concept of "action" in combat rules. For instance, in Shadowrun (any edition) you can make two Simple action or one Complex action per initiative pass. In Savage Worlds and Storyteller "action" is a very general definition which can represent either attack or almost anything else. In That Other Game until recently you had Standard Action and Move Action which could represent plenty of things. The list goes on.

Another reason why I'm writing this is because I wonder why rules allow you slash with your sword thrice in a second (All-out Attack (Double) with Rapid Strike), or run 6 yard per second and shoot your blowpipe, but disallow picking two items from a table during one turn.

I'm not saying it's a particularly bad thing, but one day I thought "what if GURPS had more general concept of physical action in combat system"? I tried to imagine how that could actually look and write down my thoughts.

In fact, attacks, "readies" and feints already have some degree of interchangeability. Opening a door with a foot can be represented by both carefully pressing it (ready) and actual kicking (attack). Trading attacks for feints is RAW (MA127). Concept of "All-out Ready" and "Committed Ready" is once in a while discussed here at forums, and MA179 hints it as well, which again proves that attacks and readies are of the same breed.

So, let's imagine GURPS still has maneuvers as a basic concept, but Attack, Ready and Feint are gone. Intead of them there is Physical Action maneuver. Substantially it allows you to do whatever Attack, Ready and Feint used to allow (these are kinds of physical actions). And then there are variants with which you can modify your maneuver:

Standard: Take one action (punch, slash, open, feint, etc.). Movement: Step. Active defenses: any.
Determined: Take one action and get +4 bonus to your roll (+1 if you make a ranged attack or a feint). Movement: up to half Move, round up. Active defenses: you lose your active defenses until your next turn.
Double: Take two actions (attack twice, ready weapon and attack, open door and attack etc.). Movement: up to half Move, round up. Active defenses: you lose your active defenses until your next turn.
Strong: As RAW.
On the Move: In order to fulfil your task successfully roll against applicable skill or DX with penalty -4, effective skill cap 9 unless slamming (or just -2 or penalty equal to Bulk if making a ranged attack). Movement: up to full Move. Active defenses: can't Retreat if attacked or feinted.

Other maneuvers remain unchanged (I'd really like to remove Change Posture and allow changing posture for Step or movement points, but that's another story).

I totally understand one can't just rebuild GURPS fundamentally without any issues. After all, RAW were thoroughly playtested and then tried for many years by thousands of players. There certainly will be issues concerning compatibility with other rules and options. Still, I suggest to discuss if general concept of Physical Action (instead of Attack, Ready and Feint as separate maneuvers) can be of some use.
Wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by Erling; 04-27-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: No +4 fo AoA (Determined) feints
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote