View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Dodging while being levitated by Telekinesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yeah, lifting up a horrifically strong foe IN COMBAT after spending a single second to limit their responses is hard. This works for me. An Unresisting foe can be lifted with a Ready maneuver.
Yeah, but if you proportionally reduce the STs and the mass of the target, it is no longer like that.

ST 100, BL 2,000 lifter vs. ST 100, 150-lb target
is very hard, because you roll your HT+6ish against ST50.

But when a
ST 5, BL 5 lifter vs. ST 5, 0.375lb target
tries to lift the target, the roll becomes HT+6ish against the target's DX/Judo/etc., which is definitely easier than 50.

Quote:
In lethal combat? No? Then not apt comparison.
I'm not sure there is a differentiation between a 'lethal' pickup and a 'nonlethal' pickup. E.g. both Combat- and Sport- based Takedown (Forced Change Positions) don't seem to have a side-effect of also dealing damage. (Again, might be missing something.) I'm not sure how pickups differ either.

How would you modify a pickup done with Wrestling Sports / no skill in context of a Sports combat?

Quote:
After a single grapple? Not at all. spend a few seconds restraining the cat. Also you forgot again that a ST 10 vs ST 5 housecat inflicts -1 DX and -2 ST per 2 CP inflicted due to scaling. A few successful grapples and the cat just loses, esp if you spend CP.
Hmm. Indeed, I did forget about the DX penalty. I guess I'm just assuming that a basic grapple is defined as a sufficiently firm grip on a target, which changed with TG.

Quote:
I did say in a pevious thread that there needs to be a threshold below which the HT roll is irrelevant. I think I suggested BL/2 or so.
Agreed that it's needed, but can't contribute to the decision of the threshold. Sorry.