Thread: Dice?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 06:42 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Default Re: Dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
My college roomie who started all this had some dice that obviously weren't "high impact". They'd been rolled round in just a few years.
Those original TSR dice of mine are fairly rounded. Also seems like a few stress cracks. Whatever plastic they made them out of, it wasn't intended to bounce off a table a lot.

Quote:
Ive gotten used to D20s that are actually numbered 1-20 but back in the day they were only done 1-10 twice and we used model paint in 2 different colors and you had to call one color "high" when you rolled. There were proceedures where you rolled a d6 to determine "high" or "low" also.
Yes. The d20 of that set, a white base, I did in red and black, with some Testors model paint I had around. By the time I was painting the later sets, I had a technique for sort of getting some paint in the number and swiping the die face with my thumb, filling in all the etching with paint while cleaning the face. Much faster and easier than fiddling with a tiny liner brush, once I'd learned the right technique to just make a smeary mess. One of those has the d20 with double digit numbers, but the other has a + mark on half the faces along with the single digit. (Also handy for the 6-vs-9 question.)

The clear set didn't work out so well in practice. Looks cool, but it's hard to read the numbers when you can easily see through the die to all the other numbers at random overlapping angles, especially in dimmer light (and older age).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote