View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: [FAQ] Section 0. Before you start using GURPS . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
  • S/he is well-defined. (Comic and movie characters are often portrayed inconsistently, and thus are hard to write up in RPG terms.)
  • She has no 'infinite' abilities. (Infinite power has infinite price, and basically can't be built in GURPS. It's more complicated than that, but this should suffice for a beginner.)
The grammarian in me cringes at your inconsistent and politically correct pronouns. Use it instead of she and the nonexistent s/he. If it is not acceptable, use he.

Quote:
The point budget is sufficient and the GM allows the needed traits. (You still can't play an ancient vampire in a gritty/realistic WWII game.)
That confused me at first. If GURPS is so flexible, why can't I run a realistic WWII game with vampires? Then I realized you mean the GM could set that limitation. Consider making this a quotation: "No, you still can't play an ancient vampire in my realistic World War II game!"

Quote:
many supplements - primarily the crunchbooks and genrebooks, but also setting books
You are making up words here, and this is bad for a beginners' introduction. You should define the terms crunch book, genre book, and setting book (notice the spaces) before you use them.

Quote:
If it is listed in an official book doesn't mean you'll get it!
Players: don't expect that you're allowed to use whatever you want.
GMs: only allow stuff that is appropriate for your game's style, genre and setting.
More grammar corrections:
Just because it is listed in an official book doesn't mean you'll get it.
Players: Don't expect to be allowed to use whatever you want.
GMs: Only allow stuff that is appropriate to your game's style, genre, and setting.

Quote:
Character concepts aren't portable!
I disagree with this idea, but others have addressed it already.

Quote:
GURPS chargen can be intimidating, but this 'front-loading' is done up to speed up the game after chargen.
Others have pointed out that chargen is jargon that may not be familiar to someone new. Spell it out: character generation.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote