View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #30
Rupert

Default Re: Cinematic Martial Artist too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Rapid Strikes aren't bad but the penalty on them is limiting. TBaM halves the penalty, so a Martial Artist (MA) with high skill could conceivably make 3 Rapid Stirkes at -6. Still a MA with skill 17 is attacking at 11 on each attack and if they want to aim at a particular target things get worse. A mage can use Blur or turn Invisible and then strike. Of course, the MA can still fight the mage provided he/she has taken Blind Fighting.
Skill-17 is not what I consider appropriate for a 'cinematic martial artist', certainly not on 250+ points. In my fantasy game the only character with what I (and I expect my players would agree) consider a level of skill sufficient for this has Polearm-20 (he started at Polearm-18 at 150 points all up). Below that you just aren't that skilled for the reason you note - you can't soak multiple or major penalties without having to Telegraph (useless if you need a Deceptive Attack) or AOA. I'd expect a focused martial artist on 250 points (and below that I don't think many character builds feel very cinematic) to be able to do a Lethal Strike (-2) at the Vitals (-3) with a couple of levels of DA (-4) and still have at least an 11- to hit without having to do an AOA. IF you expect less of them, well, you'll get less from them.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote