View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #28
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Cinematic Martial Artist too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
OK, let me be more specific. What I'm looking for specifically in a cinematic martial artist is the Trained by a Master asian fighting arts style character - staff wielding monk, samuri swordsman, ninja with shuriken and katana (yes I know that many not be the historical blade of choice), or similar style character.

Primarily I'm looking at the Trained by a Master and the cinematic skills it grants. I'd like to see a build using the cinematic templates that includes Trained by a Master.

I've already built good swordsman and swashbucklers. They are well rounded and have ranged attacks, climbing skills, acrobatics, stealth, shadowing, boating, knowledge, Hidden Lore skills, etc. What I need now is a Trained by a Master cinematic asian fighting arts type. Chi-based is definitely what I want. I'm looking for a cinematic martial artist is the Trained by a Master asian fighting arts style character - staff wielding monk, samuri swordsman, ninja with shuriken and katana (yes I know that many not be the historical blade of choice). I want a character that illustrates the utility of Trained by a Master and the cinematic skills it grants. Build something using the cinematic templates that includes Trained by a Master. I'm trying to get such a martial artist in 250 point budget that can have some other skills that would fit them into the party with standard skills all members should have as well as special capabilities they bring to the table.

I thought that all three attacks were at -3 for Rapid strike, which would be at 18. Still very good but not at his full skill.

Regardless, it's not the swordsman I have issue with, it's primarily the esoteric TbaM abilities which seem weak and lack utility relative to the high-cost, especially with TbaM's cost.
So what you're saying is that you're interested in the 'Oriental-type' martial artists -- the ones that use Trained by a Master advantage. You want to see how an effective character of that type can be constructed, involving things like the cinematic TbaM range of skills, and shuriken, katanas, and the like. You want the Chi-based stuff. Is that right?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote