View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #20
Rupert

Default Re: [DF] Maximizing Maces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
The usual answer is that it hits harder so when you face someone with good armour which will not be pierced by an axe, you will hurt them more with a mace blow. I don't know if that's correct or not but it's what I've been told.

Also anecdotally I know a guy who does mediaeval combat recreation and they banned maces because it was too difficult to avoid causing serious injuries.
Back when mail was the standard armour that was a fairly common rule in friendly tournaments too. Maces break bones, swords that land on mail only bruise, at most.

Here's a suggestion: Have a new weapon modifier that's only for curshing-only melee weapons and gives them the same benefits of 'fine' that axes get, for the same cost. We can call it 'Goblin Made'.
Goblin Made*: -1 to odds of breakage and +1 to crushing damage for a melee or thrown weapon. Any crushing-only melee or thrown weapon: +9 CF.

* Mutually exclusive with Fine and solid silver, effectively mutually exclusive with Dwarven as Dwarves and Goblins are not on speaking terms.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 07-14-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote