View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
tbone

Default Re: [DF] Maximizing Maces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I suspect the biggest "advantage" of the mace, in the end, is that we understand their danger on an instinctive level and so we just like them.
Sure, but I don't know that people would – by instinct or intellect – consider an axe to be any less dangerous. Anyone giving it even a moment's thought should understand the axe to be more dangerous. (Though if your understanding is "Yes! It's 50% more dangerous!", you just might be a GURPS player. : )

In the end, I think non-combat blunt weapon advantages are going to be cost, ease of care, cultural symbolism, legality, etc. – all things discussed somewhere in the forums.

As for combat advantages... Well, there may not be any in the game (other than edge cases like targets that take extra damage from blunt weapons, or cases in which you specifically want a weapon that delivers mace damage and no more).

If we wanted to get more fiddly, I think it'd be possible to play with knockback and with knockdown/stunning/KO, as I mentioned; the issue of edge alignment, as Icelander mentioned; and, I suspect, the fact that any weapon stabbing/slicing into a target, not just a pick, could get stuck at times (even if only long enough to, say, prevent a quick parry after an attack).

Little things like that would all provide some minor advantages to blunt weapons. But the fiddly factor gets pretty high!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote