View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
Rupert

Default Re: [DF] Maximizing Maces

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
I've got a goblin thief who loves using his signature mace to deliver backstabbing skull blows. It's a ton of fun to yell "Thunk!" in a goblin voice while I brain someone from behind, but it feels like not using an axe is holding him back for no real reason. Axes can be made fine or very fine for extra damage as well as do cutting damage. I was hoping you fine people could give me some solid reasons to keep my beloved mace, or ways I can make it more effective so it stays relevant compared to an axe.
If you are hitting people in the brain, cutting vs crushing is a pointless distinction - the brain's x4 damage multiplier over-rides the damage type. They also do more blunt trauma and they do knockback regardless of penetration. A dwarven made one is good for parrying with as maces are heavy for 1-handed weapons. Whether these and the slightly higher base damage offset the increased damage of an axe when used on places other than the target's skull (and the higher base damage of a very fine axe) is the question. At the point levels where you can reliably brain someone the answer is unfortunately 'probably not'.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote