View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
totalfailure

Default Re: Kickstarter general question about profitability

I think a couple of your premises are incorrect - I think it far more likely the plans for the car expansions were changed precisely because they weren't selling, and SJG could see the writing on the wall. A $40 addon was always going to be a tough sell, with perhaps as few as 3 cars in it. And there would be 6(!) of them, giving completionists a major queasy feeling. And an empty wallet after spending $240 on just car addons...so they decided to parcel them out as stretch goals to entice more backers into the campaign, instead, and raise money that way, instead of praying for addon sales.

Two, I think there was about 0 percent chance Car Wars 6E was ever going to be a viable 'mass-market' success. That's just not the state of the hobby market of 2019. There are mountains of product being slammed into the market every week, and the likelihood of one generating enough interest for one of the big retailers to pick it up is remote. I think SJG made the correct decision to focus it on the 'hobby' market. And to be honest, it may not even succeed there. So much stuff is coming out these days, even good games get ignored, and die. That is the true state of the industry in 2019.